Wednesday, September 5, 2012

David Carducci says good bye and thank you

That love is one of the first gifts my parents gave me. My father used to drive me to school every morning when I was a teenager, and on the way we would stop to pick up breakfast and a copy of the New York Times. We would sit together in the car, just a block from Hudson Junior High School, and read until the sound of the first bell.

He would have the op-ed section. I'd have the sports. It wasn't long before I was addicted to the feel of newsprint against my fingers every morning. I wasn't even in high school yet when I decided I wanted to spend my life working as a sportswriter for a daily newspaper.The Record-Courier gave me that chance. In the last 18 years, I've lived some dreams that teenager sitting in a car in Hudson never could have imagined.

I covered the World Series. I filed stories from every NFL city while covering the Cleveland Browns. I walked Augusta National and carried a notepad around St. Andrews, following Jack Nicklaus' every step in 2005 in the final round of his career. I watched young athletes like Ben Curtis, Joshua Cribbs, Antonio Gates and James Harrison cut their teeth at Kent State long before they became household names.

No comments:

Post a Comment